Monday 21 September 2009

Cake and Armageddon

I quiet the little ones safely
take a last look at the stale cake
and start to wander around this place
I haven't visited for so long
Am I older now?
Or did we go back a little?
Your bed with it's crumpled sheets
and crumbs, the fork and plate rest
where you left it, then you left
This is the same, that is too
but it's all different
Like an ending, a reckoning
That globe is now in the sky
I photographed it yesterday
A sepia vision in cherubs hands
Glistening like a water drop
unbreakable yet fragile
And now it glows above
Noone knows quite what it is
or what it is there for
But it changes over days
My cake is fresh, better than yours
and I have to wait to eat it
I remember you dressing
covering your older skeleton
draping it in vintage silk and pearls
but the angels are still in their cots
heads kissed and cheeks stroked
I sit outside to eat my cake
as reports of winds come by
the ball in the sky rotates now
Is it bigger?
Yes it's bigger, now huge
and growing, on fire
It overwhelms my mind
with incomprehension
I'm calm but braced for impact
It doesn't happen
All that anticipation
I'm still sitting here
eating my cake

~ Leccie aka CharlotteSometimes(SRWB) 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment