Friday 25 July 2008

A Night With You

I notice your presence before
I see your confident face
My corner surrounds me and I
Feel good as the liquid slides down
I lean my head back and listen
To good times, I’m nearly relaxed.

Every line and form, every
Endearing and infuriating
Mannerism has become too significant
I start to lose, I shake and
I shift and I look at my feet
We don’t touch or speak but we can feel

The street is cold, damp and bitter
Shouting and pushing, you drive your
Small hands through your hair.
You look exasperated for a moment
And then that hard, conceited, likeable
Grin spreads across your face and I try again.

I hit high, I hit low, I win
And I lose a hundred times
Before we hit home
The room is hot but strange
Filled with hate, anger, lust
And a small amount of affection.

I feel warm as I press against you
Warm, but not safe
Feigning sleep as we change
Over and over
The sunlight is harsh and I
Don’t look at you for too long

I leave in seconds and
Slam your matter-of-fact front door.

~ Copyright Charlotte Sometimes 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment