Friday 12 November 2010

BENZ FAIL


I've been down every gravelled tenfoot
The tyres on my car suffer terribly, in an acceptable way
Even the dead ends gave me hope
and I snickered, in snickets, at a maroon SLK doing a drive-by

Shaking the tears from my scathing eyes
further dampens the black walls and soaks the farce
Skin marks easily with rotten splinters from old floorboards
but slips just as simply into silk ...
Worn for existential helicopter rides around turquoise bays
that are as shallow and unrewarding as a soul can get

Achievement- I was taught to spell it at an early age
And midnight swims under a full moons light are observed, haphazardly
by the cool box perched upon the shore edge
It's label worn and putrid from the effort of icing it's own heart

I've rags from stolen skips and musty holes
and glimmers of hope and champagne within patched up cupboards
I've met them all and smiled, quite stiffly
in futile conversation and crudites for dipping

I sat with swans once, in a garden on the top of a building
Wallowing on the roof-top in hundreds worth of satin and beads and slap
watching rivers and bridges live and die
above worlds that cannot sleep or pray
The sky got my story that night, and a swan or three:

Of scraped, blue cheese and half-stale bread eaten upon thrones I couldn't afford
Of etiquette smiles and "How are you?" pleasantries

"Quite well thank you, I think
but there's not much doing here any more, never was"

My rucksack is ice bucket shaped
and the amuse bouche are warm and sweating
My seat remains empty at the obsessively laid table
as my heels are rooted to the bar

"Vodka madame?"

It's the only way forward in these circles
An SLK should always be black or silver
My shoes have fallen to the floor


SRWB 2010





No comments:

Post a Comment