Friday 12 November 2010

RUNNING WITH SPIDERS

Running a premeditated path is uphill
Anxiety comes from knowing it's outcome 
                                                  - a sharp blade (or ten)
I woke today in Wonderland, the darkest side of course
It's way past lunchtime, in reversed dimensions
and the dreams of your mind have travelled through my own

"I spy something beginning with s..."

Nothing here yet, from experience
but it's all there in black and .... blue?
Everything there maybe, in its default glory
'Cos everything is nothing (in swift memory and a forecast gut)
Crawling is only ever seen from the corners of tired eyes
or closed ones - in nightmares
When you put spiders in my hair

"on candystripe legs the spiderman comes
softly through the shadow of the evening sun"

My trainers are forever waiting at the door (I'll shake them out first)
It's open a little, violet light streaming into darkened rooms
It's muted and blackened with hangings in public places
(I don't have the control or the good fortune for dimmer switches)
Violet is always a trap with a twist

"for it's much too late to get away or turn on the light 
the spiderman is having you for dinner tonight"

With a weak wave of a well-worked hand, the martyr hides those wounds
they are easily concealed when not visible upon a burdened back
That's where it happens, eight steps at a time
slowly ascending the curvature of my spine

"and softer than shadow and quicker than flies 
his arms are all around me and his tongue in my eyes"

The soundtrack is believable and B movie groovy
fake webbing dangles from swaying set pieces
and I practise my scream until it's perfect
Spitting sticky from my overplayed mouth
Which one shall I play?
The stupid blonde who gets it first?
or the bespectacled, pony-tailed brunette
still standing at the end of the game
She lets her hair down in the final moments
looks sideways at a not quite dead arachnid
and kills him again

"Come into my parlour", said the spider to the fly...
 "I have something... "


SRWB 2010


**LYRICS - THE CURE - LULLABY



No comments:

Post a Comment