Friday 12 November 2010

ONION MARMALADE

I'm sitting here in dreams of flies, prison cells and validation
There's nothing much in new shoes or book stores this week
Not much to talk about anyway
I'm all a bit self, without really giving a shit

A determined mellow marks my heart
and I can't quite pull it sideways enough to care

Seeing things for what they are is an art they say
A swirl of starry night becomes a precision projection on the wall
I can laugh at that now and throw away the gaps in double french seams
like they were made yesterday in some sweaty, shod-shop by hard working folk

It's the carrier bags again and the labels 
that swap themselves when you're not looking
They match one minute and then the next they're off

I was always one for putting cheap shit under expensive brand names
and vice versa, because it's embarrassing as hell in the wrong circles

I remember Jelly bags, we had to have our stuff in carriers inside
wrong labels; wrong bags; wrong life

It's still the same and I can't even do the half lotus
Practice; I've guarded my thighs with my life for the past year
Now I'm opening them again for entirely different reasons
My island is secure, but it's still floating; hunting for bargains I suppose

Just feed it to visitors and happenings
Diluting it's revulsion amongst good friends
I do wonder how you are though
another couple of weeks
and I'll break that habit's back too

Cheap cuts amongst fucked-up dreams and the urge to wake up with a start
every bloody hour - I don't own a ticking clock, I just can't mark the endless hours
I torture myself enough

I'm texting when you ring (every time)
so the button pushing takes me by surprise
and before I know it, I've answered you - again
You're not in my heart anymore (hardened)
but my solar plexus is giving me Hell (brick)

I've got olives again and some other stuff
The jar of onion marmalade glares your contempt at me now

I can't open it let alone eat any of it

Mouthfuls of the rage and sadness in your eyes
the last time you looked at me
Resenting me for letting it spill over
For not having that control
For exposing what it really was underneath
and leaving you with a marrow bone taste
and not a prayer

We are detached from it, me and my brick
And I won't eat it again


SRWB 2010





No comments:

Post a Comment